Nicely engraved antique stock certificate from the Western Vermont Railroad Company dating back to the 1850's. This document, which has been signed by the company Treasurer, measures approximately 8 1/2" (w) by 4 1/4" (h).
The certificate features a small train running down the left side.
You will receive the exact certificate pictured.
The Western Vermont Railroad was chartered in 1845 to build south from Rutland to North Bennington, then west to a connection with the Troy & Boston Railroad (T&B) at White Creek, New York.
The railroad opened in 1853 and was leased to the T&B in 1857, forming a roundabout route from Boston to the Hudson River in conjunction with the Rutland & Burlington, Cheshire, and Fitchburg railroads.
The Western Vermont was renamed the Bennington & Rutland (B&R) in 1865. When the Hoosac Tunnel in western Massachusetts was opened in 1875, the T&B gained a much shorter route to Boston and castoff the B&R. The B&R filed suit against the T&B; there was a small railroad war; and the B&R merged with the Lebanon Springs Railroad, a line that meandered north from Chatham, New York, to form the Harlem Extension Railroad — essentially a northward extension of what later became the Harlem Division of the New York Central Railroad (NYC).
The Vermont Central leased the Harlem Extension South, later Lebanon Springs, then Chatham & Lebanon Valley, and the Bennington & Rutland. The Rutland purchased the Bennington & Rutland in 1900 and the Chatham & Lebanon Valley in 1901.