Intricately engraved antique stock certificate from the Valley Railway Company dating back to the 1870's. This document, which is signed by the company President and Secretary, was printed by W. J. Morgan & Co. Lith. of Cleveland, and measures approximately 10" (w) by 7 1/2" (h).
This certificate features a vignette of a train exiting a tunnel with a masted ship in the background.
The Valley Railway Company was incorporated on August 21, 1871 to build a line from Cleveland to reach the coal fields in southeastern Ohio. Construction began in 1873, but was suspended during the financial 'Panic' of 1874. Construction was resumed in 1878 and the 75-mile line was completed in 1882. It went south from Cleveland through Akron to Valley Junction, Ohio.
In January, 1890, the Baltimore & Ohio Railroad Company acquired control of the company. At the same time the Baltimore & Ohio Railroad Company had purchased properties along the Cuyahoga River in downtown Cleveland to develop terminal facilities, including both passenger and freight stations. The ornate passenger station was opened in 1898. A Baltimore & Ohio Railroad Company subsidiary, the Cleveland Terminal & Valley Railroad Company, was incorporated in 1895 and it acquired the B&O terminal properties and the Valley Railway Company.
The Baltimore & Ohio Railroad Company assumed operation of the Cleveland Terminal & Valley Railroad Company in June 1909 but did not absorb the line until 1915. Later, in 1934, the Baltimore & Ohio Railroad Company transferred its passenger trains to the new (built 1931) Cleveland Union Terminal, located northeast of the Baltimore & Ohio Railroad Company terminal.