Intricately engraved antique guarantee certificate from the Syracuse Washing Machine Corporation dating back to the 1920's. This document which was printed by the American Bank Note Company and measures approximately 10 1/4" (w) by 8 1/4" (h).
The certificate's two vignettes features two of the company's washers - the Model R and the Model M.
This company was originally formed in 1877 as Dodge & Zuill. The name Syracuse Washing Machine Corporation was used 1919-1932, after which the business became the Easy Washing Machine Corporation.
A twin tub model, named the 'Easy', was made throughout the 1920s and 1930s, but was originally patented in 1912. It was the basis of the later standard twin-tub washing machine, and at the time represented a major advance in washing-machine design. The machine (the Model R) was made from enamelled metal and stainless steel, and features two tubs set in a triangular frame. It had rinse and spin dry options, with settings marked 'blue', 'suds' and 'rinse'. The larger tub was the agitator tub and the smaller tub acted to rinse and spin the clothes. The Syracuse 'Easy' featured vacuum-cup technology, which helped force soapy water through clothes.
The very name of this washing machine reinforced the alluring, but not entirely true, promise from advertisers that electrical appliances would be labour saving. Although it offered some advantages, unlike modern washing machines this machine was not automatic and still required much manual handling of the washing.