Beautifully engraved antique stock certificate from the Spokane International Railway Company dating back to the 1910's. This document, which is signed by the company President and Secretary, was printed by the International Bank Note Company, and measures approximately 10 3/4" (w) by 7 1/4" (h).
This certificate's vignette features a female allegorical figure with a sword and shield.
The Spokane International Railway, was built by local businessman and railroader Daniel Chase Corbin following an agreement between him and the Central Pacific, with CP agreeing to fund much of the line's construction and to secure the loan by holding the new line's bonds.
Especially significant was the fact that the CP controlled the Minneapolis, St. Paul and Sault Ste. Marie Railway (Soo Line) and its connections to Minneapolis, Minnesota, St. Paul, Minnesota and Chicago, Illinois. Completion of the Spokane International now meant that the CP could compete with the Northern Pacific Railway and Great Northern Railway lines for transportation between the midwest and the Puget Sound area (in conjunction with the Union Pacific Railroad subsidiary Oregon-Washington Railroad and Navigation Company west of Spokane). Express passenger service was soon introduced on the line via the Soo-Spokane Train De Luxe.
The line was reorganized October 1, 1941 following financial difficulties and receivership during the Great Depression, and was renamed the Spokane International Railroad as part of the restructuring agreement until the 1950s.
On October 6, 1958 the Union Pacific Railroad (UP) took control of the line.