Beautifully engraved antique stock certificate from the Southern California Edison Company dating back to the 1970's. This document, which was printed by the Jeffries Bank Note Company, carries the printed signatures of the company President and Secretary and measures approximately 12" (w) by 8 1/4" (h).
This certificate's vignette features a pair of allegorical male figures flanking the company headquarters. The lights of a city appear in the background.
You will receive the exact certificate pictured.
In 1886, the forerunners of Southern California Edison (now SCE Corp.), small independent power companies, bring electric arc lighting to Southern California. They include Visalia Electric Light & Gas Company, Santa Barbara Electric Light Company, San Bernardino Electric Company, and Ventura Land & Power. In 1894, San Francisco financiers license Thomas Edison's name and patents from General Electric Company and organize the Los Angeles Edison Electric company.
In 1897, the West Side Lighting Company and Los Angeles Edison Electric Company merge to form Edison Electric Company of Los Angeles. On July 6, 1909, to celebrate Edison's growth from a small Los Angeles utility to an electric company serving 600,000 people in five counties, the company changes its name to Southern California Edison.