Nicely engraved antique stock certificate from the Savin Corporation dating back to the 1990's. This document, which contains the printed signatures of the company Chairman of the Board and Treasurer, was printed by the Banknote Corporation of America and measures approximately 12" (w) by 8" (h).
The vignette features a female figure, books, a harbor and a city skyline.
Savin was incorporated in 1959 by Max M. and Robert K.Low (the company was named using the name of Max Low's son-in-law, Robert S. Savin) and was run by Low's son, Robert K. Low (Finance, management and marketing) and E. Paul Charlap (research and development). It was known primarily for its line of liquid toner photocopiers, which set it apart from other companies that manufactured dry toner equipment, like Xerox.
During the 1960s and through the 1980s, Savin developed and sold a line of liquid-toner copiers that implemented a technology based on patents held by the company.Savin's copiers were manufactured by Ricoh Company and distributed by Savin in the US and Canada through 50 Branch offices and 500 dealers, and under licenses from Savin to Nashua Corp for Europe and South America and through Ricoh for the Far East.
Although up against major corporations such as Xerox, IBM and Kodak, Savin was able to find its niche with well-developed marketing plans. Savin was listed on the New York Stock Exchange when it was sold in 1982 to the Canadian Development Corporation and later sold to other companies. The acquiring companies never had the marketing talent (deciding not to keep the talented Savin marketing professionals that had built the Company) and, therefore, sales and royalties began to decline at a steady pace.
In 1995, Ricoh Company acquired Savin Corporation, at which time it was made a wholly owned sales subsidiary.