Beautifully engraved antique stock certificate from the Saratoga and Whitehall Rail Road Company dating back to the 1850's. This document, which has been signed by the company President and Treasurer, was printed by Robertson & Seibert and measures approximately 10 3/4" (w) by 6 1/2" (h).
This certificate features a trio of vignettes - a long train at the top, the New York State Seal at the left and a female allegory with a trident at the right.
You will receive the exact certificate pictured.
The Saratoga and Washington Railroad Company was chartered in New York on May 2, 1834, to build a line from Saratoga Springs, New York, at the junction with the Saratoga and Schenectady Railroad, northwest to Whitehall, in Washington County.
The Panic of 1837 suspended construction on the line, which did not resume until 1847. The New York state legislature also amended the original charter, permitting the line to extend to the Vermont state line. The line opened from Saratoga Springs to Gansevoort on August 15, 1848, and all the way to Whitehall on December 10. A further extension to the Vermont state line, and a junction with the Rutland and Whitehall Railroad, opened in 1850. The Saratoga and Washington Railroad leased the latter railroad on November 1, 1850.
The company encountered financial problems and was foreclosed on in early 1855. It was sold and reorganized as the Saratoga and Whitehall Railroad in June 1855.
In 1868, the line was consolidated with the Rensselaer and Saratoga Railroad and the Troy, Salem and Rutland Railroad. The new entity was susbsequently least the the Delaware and Hudson Canal Company in 1870.