Nicely engraved antique stock certificate from the Rutland and Burlington Rail-Road Company dating back to the 1840's. This document, which is signed by the company Agent, measures approximately 7 1/2" (w) by 4 1/2" (h).
This certificate features a vignette of a train up the left side.
You will receive the exact certificate pictured.
The Rutland & Burlington Railroad was chartered in 1843 by the state of Vermont to build between Rutland and Burlington. When the Vermont legislature created the state railroad commission in 1855 to oversee railway construction, maintenance, and operations, the first person appointed to the position was Charles Linsley, the Rutland and Burlington's counsel, and a member of its board of directors. A number of other railroads were later formed in the region, and by 1867 the Rutland & Burlington Railroad had changed its name to simply the Rutland Railroad.
Between 1871 and 1896 the Rutland Railroad was leased to the Central Vermont, regaining its independence when that road entered receivership. The New York Central Railroad briefly had a controlling interest in the Rutland from 1904, but sold half of its shares to the New York, New Haven & Hartford Railroad in 1911.