Intricately engraved antique bond certificate from the town of Richland, New York in aid of the Syracuse Northern Railroad Company dating back to the 1870's. This document, which has been signed by the town Commissioner, was printed by Henry Seibert & Bros. and measures approximately 17" (w) by 11" (h).
This certificate has a pair of beautiful vignettes, both featuring detailed train scenes.
This bond was issued in aid of the Syracuse Northern Railroad Company.
The Syracuse Northern Railroad, incorporated in 1868 and opened on November 9, 1871. The line drew trade from Liverpool to Syracuse, New York, and had routes to Watertown, New York. In 1875, the road was extended to Pulaski and Lacona.
The company merged in 1875 into Syracuse and Northern Railroad and once again merged that same year, this time into Rome, Watertown and Ogdensburg Railroad.
The Town of Richland is in the northeast part of Oswego County, and was first settled around 1801. The Town of Richland was formed from part of the Town of Williamstown in 1807.