Beautifully engraved antique stock certificate from the Pressed Steel Car Company, Inc. dating back to the 1940's. This document, which carries the printed signatures of the company President and Secretary was printed by the Security Bank Note Company and measures approximately 13" (w) by 9" (h).
This certificate features a wonderful triple vignette featuring two rail cars and a nude male allegory.
You will receive the exact certificate pictured.
The Pressed Steel Car Company of Pittsburgh came into existence on February 17, 1899 and was an amalgamation of the Schoen Pressed Steel Company, Pittsburgh, and the British company, the Fox Solid Pressed Steel Company, which was set up in 1889 in Joliet, 30 miles southwest of Chicago.
The Pressed Steel Car Company ranked 41st among United States corporations in the value of World War II military production contracts. It was involved in the design and production of 24 M43 Howitzer Motor Carriages and 311 M40 Gun Motor Carriages, T29 Heavy Tanks, T30 Ammunition Carriers, M7 Gun Motor Carriages, M3 Light Tanks, and M4 Medium Tanks.
The company's most notable product was the MP54 electric car built for the Pennsylvania Railroad, and used until the early 1980s from New York to Washington. The plant on Torrance Avenue in Chicago's Hegewisch neighborhood remains today and is occupied by various steel-oriented businesses. It is served by Norfolk Southern and Indiana Harbor Belt.