Beautifully engraved antique stock certificate from the Pittsburgh, Fort Wayne and Chicago Rail Road Company dating back to the 1850's. This document, which is signed by the company President and Assistant Secretary, was printed by Wm. Schuchman & Bro. and measures approximately 11" (w) by 6 1/2" (h).
This piece features six vignettes! The top of the piece is dominated by a detailed train scene, while the other vignettes include William Penn, a pair of farming landscapes, two men working on a boiler, and another gentlemen.
Very unusual embossed cancellations in the signature areas.
You will receive the exact certificate pictured.
The Pittsburgh, Fort Wayne and Chicago Railroad was incorporated on April 16, 1856 as a consolidation of the Ohio and Pennsylvania RR, the Ohio and Indiana RR, and the Fort Wayne and Chicago RR. The company then changed its name to the Pittsburgh, Fort Wayne and Chicago Railway in 1861.
The Pennsylvania Railroad provided financial assistance to these lines as early as 1858, and a reorganization resulting in the Pittsburgh Fort Wayne & Chicago consummated in 1862 and paved the way for the PRR to lease the new line.
In 1916, the company acquired the Marginal RR (Harmony Society of Economy, PA) and the Rochester, Beaver Falls & Western Railway.