Intricately engraved antique bond certificate from the Penobscot & Kennebec Railroad Company dating back to the 1850's. This document, which has been signed by the company President and Treasurer, measures approximately 12 1/4" (w) by 15 3/4" (h) - including the coupons at the bottom of the piece.
The vignette features a train steaming down the tracks.
You will receive the exact certificate pictured.
The Penobscot and Kennebec Railroad Company received a charter on April 5, 1845, and built a line between Bangor, Maine and Waterville, Maine. At Waterville, the P&K connected with the Androscoggin and Kennebec Railroad (A&K). At North Maine Junction, the A&K connected with the Bangor and Piscataquis Railroad.
In 1845, the year that the P&K was chartered, a law was enacted permitting both the P&K and A&K to consolidate under a new name. The legislation was not acceptable to both companies, thus the A&K was chartered in 1847. The P&K and A&K did not merge until after the contentious section of the previous merger legislation was repealed on September 9, 1862. The following month on October 28, 1862, the A&K and P&K merged to form the Maine Central Railroad.