Intricately engraved antique stock certificate from the North Lebanon Rail Road Company dating back to the 1850's. This document, which has been signed by the company President and Secretary/Treasurer, measures approximately 11 1/4" (w) by 8" (h).
The vignette features a train rounding a sharp bend.
You will receive the exact certificate pictured. There is an uneven bottom margin resulting from coupon removal.
The North Lebanon Rail Road Company was incorporated on May 25, 1850 by George Dawson Coleman and William Coleman and opened in 1855.
The railroad extended for about six miles from the ore banks in Cornwall to the Union Canal in Lebanon City. Originally ore laden carts were pulled by teams of mules. This type of operation only lasted seven months until a locomotive was purchased, capable of pulling the same weight that would have taken a team of one hundred mules.
In 1857 the Lebanon Valley Railroad reached Lebanon and built an interchange with the North Lebanon RR (the Lebanon Valley RR quickly became part of the Philadelphia & Reading RR). In 1870, the North Lebanon Railroad's name was changed to the Cornwall Railroad.