Beautifully engraved antique stock certificate from the New Jersey and New York Rail Road Company dating back to the early 1900's. This document, which is signed by the company 2nd Vice President and Assistant Secretary, was printed by the American Bank Note Company and measures approximately 10 3/4" (w) by 7" (h).
This certificate features a nice vignette of a train steaming down the tracks.
You will receive the exact certificate pictured.
The New Jersey and New York Railroad (NJ&NY) was a railroad company that operated north from Rutherford, New Jersey, to Haverstraw, New York beginning in the mid-to-late 19th century. The line was originally chartered as the Hackensack and New York Railroad (H&NY) in 1856.
The H&NY would eventually run from Rutherford to Hackensack, New Jersey. In 1866 under the leadership of David P. Patterson the company was rechartered as the Hackensack and New York Extension Railroad and it extended its line north of Hackensack. It later reorganized as the New Jersey and New York Railroad.
The line reached the town of Haverstraw, New York by 1870, the village of West Haverstraw by 1873, and the village of Haverstraw by 1887. The NJ&NY was in turn leased for 99 years by the Erie Railroad in 1896. The NJ&NY continued to exist as an Erie subsidiary until the 1960 merger that created the Erie Lackawanna Railroad.
In 1976 the Erie Lackawanna was merged with several other railroads to create Conrail. In 1983, after several years under operation by Conrail, operations of the Pascack Valley Line were transferred to New Jersey Transit Rail Operations. The segments of the two former railroad lines in New York – north of Spring Valley to Haverstraw and north of Nanuet to New City – are no longer in service.