Beautifully engraved antique stock certificate from the Louisiana and Missouri River Railroad Company dating back to the 1880's. This document, which is signed by the company President and Secretary, was printed by the American Bank Note Company, and measures approximately 11" (w) by 7" (h).
The vignette features a locomotive and tender exiting a roundhouse.
The images presented are representative of the piece(s) you will receive. When representative images are presented for one of our offerings, you will receive a certificate in similar condition as the one pictured; however dating, denomination, certificate number and issuance details may vary.
The Louisiana and Missouri River Railroad was incorporated by special act of the Legislature of the State of Missouri, approved March 10, 1859, and amendments thereto, to construct a railroad from Louisiana, Missouri to Kansas City, Missouri, with a branch line from Mexico to Cedar City, Missouri. By an act of Congress approved March 3, 1871, the company was authorized to construct a bridge over the Mississippi River. This right was assigned on July 5, 1873, to the Mississippi River Bridge Company (of May, 1873) in consideration of that company undertaking the construction of the proposed bridge.
That portion of the bridge and other property of the Mississippi River Bridge Company (of May, 1873) located within the State of Missouri was conveyed to the Louisiana and Missouri River Railroad on April 29, 1895.
The owned road of the Louisiana and Missouri River Railroad, about 102 miles, was acquired partly by purchase and partly by construction, as follows:
- Acquired from the Mississippi River Bridge Company, April 29, 1895; constructed by that company from the Illinois-Missouri State line to Louisiana, Missouri, (included a portion of bridge over the Mississippi River located in Missouri) - 0.600 miles.
- Acquired by construction, Louisiana to Mexico, Missouri, 1868-1871 - 51.050 miles.
- Acquired by construction, Mexico to Cedar City, Missouri, 1868-1872 - 50.130 miles.
The construction of the road was at first undertaken by its Missouri promoters, who acquired the right of way, graded and bridged the road, and furnished the ties. Construction was completed by the Chicago and Alton Railroad Company under a contract, dated July 5, 1870, for the lease of the road.