Lombard and South Streets Passenger Railway Company (Signed by Moses Dropsie)
Beautifully engraved antique stock certificate from the Lombard and South Streets Passenger Railway Company dating back to the 1870's. This document, which is signed by the company President (Moses Dropsie) and Secretary, was printed by Alexander, Printer and measures approximately 10 1/4" (w) by 7 1/4" (h).
This certificate features two vignettes - the Pennsylvania State Seal at the top and a horse-drawn trolley at the bottom.
You will receive the exact certificate pictured.
The Lombard and South Streets Passenger Railway Company was incorporated in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania in 1875.
The line ran down Lombard Street to Front Street, to Dock Street, to Delaware Avenue, returning up Dock Street, to Front Street, to South Street, to the depot at the corner of 25th Street and South Street.
On July 27, 1881, the Lombard and South Street Passenger Railway was leased to the West End and Angora Passenger Railway Company. A year later the line planned to merge with the West End Passenger Railway Company, but the merger was recinded. The Frankford and Southwark then stepped in and leased the line.
Moses Dropsie was born in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania on March 9, 1821. He began life as a store-boy, later learned watchmaking, and afterward studied law under Benjamin Harris Brewster.
After his admission to the bar (in 1851) he took an active interest in public affairs, was the candidate of the Whig party for mayor of the Northern Liberties district of Philadelphia in 1852, and, like most members of the party, was strongly opposed to slavery.
Dropsie was instrumental in the development of railways in Philadelphia; and after acting as president of the Lombard and South Street Passenger Railroad (1862-82), he became president of the Green and Coates Street Passenger Railroad.
In 1870 he became chairman of the commission appointed by the legislature for the construction of a bridge over the Schuylkill River.
Dropsie always took a deep interest in Jewish charitable and educational work. He was a director of the Hebrew Fuel Society; a member of the board of "adjunta" (directors) of the Sephardic Congregation Mickvé Israel; and was one of the charter members, and for more than forty years an officer, of the Hebrew Education Society of Philadelphia, having acted as secretary, vice-president, and (twice) president.
Dropsie was also president of Maimonides College from 1867 to 1873, and was president of the Philadelphia branch of the Alliance Israélite Universelle and of Gratz College. From 1856 to 1861 he was president of the Mercantile Club.
Owing to failing eyesight, Dropsie in 1885 retired from the practise of the law. He translated and edited Mackeldey's "Handbook of the Roman Law " (1883), and in addition published (1892) a separate work on "The Roman Law of Testaments, Codicils, and Gifts in the Event of Death (Mortis Causa Donationes)."
Besides a "Panegyric on the Life of the Rev. Isaac Leeser," Dropsie wrote pamphlets on "The Life of Jesus from and Including the Accusation Until the Alleged Resurrection, with an Account of the Cross-Crown of Thorns," and "Reform Judaism and the Study of Hebrew."