Intricately engraved antique bond certificate from the Lackawanna Coal and Lumber Company dating back to the 1910's. This document, which is signed by the company Vice President and Assistant Secretary, was printed by Wilbur & Hastings Lith. and measures approximately 10" (w) by 14 1/2" (h).
The vignette features a mountainside coal mining operation, with trains being loaded.
You will receive the exact certificate pictured.
The Lackawanna Coal and Lumber Company was incorporated in West Virginia on May 12, 1910.
The company's primary mining operation came via the purchase of the entire $5,000,000 capital stock of the Paint Creek Collieries Company.
The Paint Creek Collieries Co. had mining leases on 13,285 acres of coal lands located in Kanawha and Fayette Counties, West Virginia, containing approximately 120,000,000 tons of high-grade minable coal, above water level, in the Kanawha measures. The company already had 12 collieries in operation on these lands, 10 mines being located on Paint Creek on lands of the Paint Creek Coal & Land Company, and 2 mines located on Paint Creek on lands of the Olcott Coal & Iron Company.
The mines on Paint Creek were Hickory Camp, Greenbrier, Grose, Nuckolls, Morton, Detroit, Banner, Wacomah, Scranton, and Paint Creek. The mines on Brier Creek were Knickerbocker and Reynolds. Paint Creek and Brier Creek were both tributaries of the Kanawha River.
The stock of the New River Kanawha Fuel Company, with offices at Charleston, Chicago, Cincinnati, and Richmond, the established selling agency of the Paint Creek Collieries Company, was also acquired by the Lackawanna Coal & Lumber Company. This company was used as the nucleus of a complete and highly trained selling organization to distribute the entire output of the mines of this company.
The Lackawanna Coal & Lumber Company also ownsed 53,000 acres of coal and timber lands in West Virginia, and had operations in Scranton, Pennsylvania as well.