Beautifully engraved antique bond certificate from the Jamestown, Chautauqua and Lake Erie Railway Company dating back to the early 1900's. This document, which is signed by the company President and Assistant, measures approximately 10 1/2" (w) by 15 3/4" (h).
The certificate's serial number is hand written in the upper left corner.
You will receive the exact certificate pictured.
The Jamestown, Chautauqua and Lake Erie Railway was one of a succession of companies operating along the eastern side of Chautauqua Lake. The company opened a line from Mayville to Westfield on July 1, 1902 and leased the Jamestown & Chautauqua Railroad. In February 1907, the Buffalo & Lake Erie Traction Company, an interurban line, bought up all the stock in the company, but continued to operate it independently.
In 1913 the line went into receivership and was purchased by the Broadhead interests, owners of the Jamestown Street Railway and Chautauqua Traction Company. On December 8, 1913 the Jamestown, Westfield & Northwestern Railroad took over the line and began electrifying the main line.
Passenger operations ended November 30, 1947 following the death of leading members of the Broadhead family. The line then began diesel powered freight service which continued until January 21, 1950.