Beautifully engraved antique stock certificate from the Iowa Falls and Sioux City Rail Road Company dating back to the 1880's. This document was printed by Snyder, Black & Sturn and measures approximately 12 1/4" (w) by 8 1/4" (h).
This certificate features a trio of vignettes - a wagon train passing some Native Americans in a canoe at the top left, galloping horses at the top right and a distinguished gentleman at the bottom left.
You will receive the exact certificate pictured.
When another bankruptcy ended the Dubuque and Pacific Railroad’s run, the line was reorganized by John Insley Blair into the Iowa Falls and Sioux City Railroad. The line progressed as far west as Alden. Walter Willson met with Blair and told him of his desire to get the line extended to Webster City. Blair told Willson that he would push the line to Webster City if Willson would build it. Willson organized a crew and finally managed to extend the line to Williams, Blairsburg, and then to Webster City in 1869.
Finally the population had a way to get supplies and ship their produce to market. Blair induced Willson to extend the line to Fort Dodge, which he did in just 30 days. This was a record for rail laying in Iowa at the time. Blair then managed to get Willson to extend the line to Storm Lake. Blair wanted Willson to run the line on into Sioux City, but Willson returned to Webster City to establish his new hotel, opera house and other ventures.
The railroad brought new settler's, carried supplies, and the county grew and prospered. The early day rivers allowed only north-south travel. The railroad expanded the travel east and west.
The line was eventually leased to the Illinois Central Railroad.