Nicely engraved antique stock certificate from the Independence Oil Company dating back to the 1910's. This document, which is signed by the company President and Secretary, was printed by Goes and measures approximately 10" (w) by 5 1/2" (h).
The vignette features an eagle atop a cliff.
The Independence Oil Company was incorporated in California on March 18, 1909. Company offices were located in Livermore, and owned 400 acres of land in the Coalinga field.
The company was later purchased by the Standard Oil Company.
The Coalinga Oil Field is a large oil field in western Fresno County. It surrounds the town of Coalinga, about halfway between Los Angeles and San Francisco, to the west of Interstate 5, at the foot of the Diablo Range. Discovered in the late 19th century, it became active around 1890, and is now the eighth-largest oil field in California, with reserves totaling approximately 58 million barrels, and over 1,600 active oil wells.