Beautifully engraved antique stock certificate from the Hartford and Connecticut Valley Railroad Company dating back to the 1880's. This document was printed by the American Bank Note Company and measures approximately 11 1/2" (w) by 6 1/2" (h).
The vignette features a broad wharf scene complete with ships, a train and horse-drawn wagons.
You will receive the exact certificate pictured. PLEASE NOTE wrinkling at lower right side. Tear in same area has been tape repaired on the verso.
The vision for this line started in the 1840s when President of the Charter Oak Life Insurance Company, James Clark Walkley traced the 44-mile route by stagecoach with friend Horace Johnson. Walkley and a group of business men obtained a state charter on July 17, 1868, to form the Connecticut Valley Railroad Company and start the process of building a railroad.
During 1868–1869, survey crews worked to map out the line from Hartford, Connecticut to Saybrook Point.
In April 1870, construction of the line began, with ground breaking taking place in Higganum, Connecticut. The plan called for three phases, the "Northern Division" starting in Hartford and continuing to Middletown, the "Middle Division" which continued to what is known today as Goodspeed Landing, and the "South Division" which finished the line to Saybrook Point. The Connecticut River Valley allowed for an easy construction, as no tunnels or major bridges where required. The line was completed during the summer of 1871 with the first ceremonial train run over the 45 miles on July 29, 1871, at a steady speed of 22 mph. At $34,000 per mile, the line ended up costing $1,482,903.
The first "regular" train started on July 31, 1871. On August 24, 1871 the Connecticut Valley Railroad declared an official opening. The schedules of trains operating along the Valley Railroad called for one mixed train and four passenger trains each way daily (except Sunday) with fifteen stops along the way.
Financial trouble plagued many early railroads, and the Connecticut Valley defaulted in 1876 on its second mortgage bonds and was placed in receivership.
On July 1, 1880, the Hartford and Connecticut Valley Railroad took control with president Samuel Babcock.
In 1887, the line was acquired by the New York, New Haven and Hartford system.
Passenger service ended in stages: between Saybrook Point and Fenwick in 1917, between Fenwick and Saybrook Junction in 1922, between Saybrook Junction and Middletown in 1929 or 1930, and Middletown and Hartford in 1933.