Nicely engraved antique bond certificate from the Delaware River Port Authority dating back to the 1970's. This document was printed by the American Banknote Company, and measures approximately 9 1/4" (w) by 13 1/2" (h).
This certificate features a photo vignette of Benjamin Franklin Bridge - which was originally known as the Delaware River Bridge. The Philadelphia skyline appears in the background.
You will receive the exact certificate pictured.
In 1919, Pennsylvania and New Jersey legislatures approved the creation of the Delaware River Bridge Joint Commission. The first meeting was held on December 12, 1919, with commissioners from both Pennsylvania and New Jersey. On July 1, 1926, the first bridge opened before a crowd of over 25,000 people. It was named the "Delaware River Bridge," and following the ceremony, over 100,000 people participated in the inaugural walk. United States President Calvin Coolidge came the next day to dedicate the bridge. However, there was thought that there should be a regional governing body for a port authority, and also the construction of another bridge and a high-speed rail line. And so, on July 17, 1951 United States President Harry S. Truman signed a bill, which created the Delaware River Port Authority.
In 1953, construction started on a new bridge to connect South Philadelphia and Gloucester City. In 1955, the existing bridge was renamed Benjamin Franklin Bridge while the name Walt Whitman Bridge was approved for the new bridge which would open in 1957.
By 1966, two more bridges were approved; the Commodore Barry Bridge (opened February 1, 1974) and the Betsy Ross Bridge (opened April 30, 1976). In 1974 and 1990, the Ben Franklin Bridge and the Walt Whitman Bridge carried their one-billionth vehicle, respectively.
The Benjamin Franklin Bridge connects Camden, New Jersey with Center City, Philadelphia. It held the position of the world's longest suspension bridge from 1926 to 1929, until being surpassed by the Ambassador Bridge.