Beautifully engraved antique stock certificate from the Columbus Southern Railway Company dating back to the 1880's. This document was printed by the Klim, Linder & Bauer Litho Co. and measures approximately 11 3/4" (w) by 9 1/4" (h).
This certificate features a detailed train vignette and a nice, green underprint.
This line was originally chartered in 1885 as the Columbus and Florida Railway. The Columbus Southern Railway was created in 1886 after the C&F's charter was amended. The railroad operated an 88 mile line from Columbus to Albany, entirely within the state of Georgia, that opened in 1890.
Soon after opening, the line was leased to the Georgia Midland and Gulf Railroad but the lease was canceled shortly afterward. The railroad operated independently until running into financial problems in 1895. It was sold to the Georgia and Alabama Railroad in 1896.