Beautifully engraved antique certificate of beneficial interest from the Co-Operative Society of America dating back to the 1920's. This document, which is signed by three company trustees, was printed by the Western Bank Note and Engraving Company and measures approximately 9 1/4" (w) by 14" (h).
This certificate's vignette features a large building along with banking, farming and town scenes.
You will receive the exact certificate pictured.
The Co-Operative Society of America was formed on February 20, 1919 in Chicago, Illinois by Harrison M. Parker - a local businessman.
The company was formed to allow people "to avail themselves to the advantages of co-operation as a welcome escape from the unconscionable profiteering of rapacious tradesmen."
Over the years, the company assembled a network of member businesses in industries such as grocery stores, banking, food products companies, life insurance, real estate and construction.
By 1923, the company had over 150,000 members, but had been plagued by bankruptcy proceedings and concerns over "missing" cash and assets. The company eventually re-organized and thrived into the 1930's.