Intricately engraved antique stock certificate from the Cleveland and Pittsburgh Railroad Company dating back to the 1960's, 1970's and 1980's. This document was printed by the American Bank Note Company and measures approximately 12" (w) by 8" (h).
This certificate features a beautiful vignette of a train steaming past a river valley.
You will receive the exact certificate pictured.
The Cleveland and Pittsburgh Railroad, organized on March 14, 1836, was the first railroad to serve Cleveland. A group of businessmen formed the Cleveland, Warren and Pittsburgh railroad to build a railway from Cleveland to the Ohio River and on to Pittsburgh. These men chose the route judiciously, for it eventually became one of the heaviest traveled routes in the nation. It still carries iron ore from docks on the lake front to the mills of Pittsburgh. The railroad had financial troubles, and in 1845 reorganized, eliminating Warren from its name. Still in trouble, at a public meeting on March 23, 1847, it was decided to ask Cleveland residents to back the enterprise with public funds. In an election held in April the electorate voted to contribute $200,000 of the city funds for stock to aid in construction.
It took another three years for the road to reach Hudson, and another few years before track was laid to Pittsburgh. On March 4, 1852, the mayor of Cleveland and the entire City Council boarded a train and rode to Wellsville on the Ohio River, where they joined in a three-day celebration. In 1864 the C and P Railroad replaced a wooden trestle across Tinker’s Creek with a 200-foot long, 20-foot wide masonry arch bridge. The four arches were approximately 50 feet wide. In 1901 the line abandoned the viaduct.
This railroad is still in existance as it was leased by the Pennsylvania Railroad for 999 years. The C and P eventually became the main line of the Pennsylvania, from Cleveland to Bedford, Ravenna, Alliance, Steubenville, Wheeling and Pennsylvania.