Beautifully engraved antique stock certificate from the Chicago and Canada Southern Railway Company dating back to the 1870's. This document is signed by the company Vice President and Treasurer, was printed by the National Bank Note Company and measures approximately 12 1/2" (w) by 7 1/2" (h).
This certificate features a pair of beautiful vignettes including a train exiting a roundhouse at the top and a rail car at the bottom.
You will receive the exact certificate pictured.
Canada Southern Railway reached Michigan from Buffalo, New York via a train ferry and the Canada Southern Bridge Company across Grosse Ile. To continue west to Chicago, the Chicago and Canada Southern Railway was chartered July 11, 1871. The line had only reached Fayette, Ohio (though grading was done further west) in September 1878 when the Panic of 1873 had its full effect and construction was halted. At that time the Canada Southern was reorganized, and the Chicago and Canada Southern was sold on November 22, 1888 to the Detroit and Chicago Railroad, owned by the Lake Shore and Michigan Southern Railway.
The track between Grosvenor and Corbus, in the middle of the line, was abandoned in 1893. In 1897 it was abandoned from Corbus east to Dundee, and in March 1898 the line east of Dundee was sold to the Detroit and Lima Northern Railroad, which became part of the Detroit, Toledo and Ironton Railway. The remaining piece west of Grosvenor was operated as a branch of the Lake Shore and Michigan Southern's Old Road from the Grosvenor end.
West from Montpelier, Ohio to beyond North Liberty, Indiana, the unfinished C&CS alignment was later used by the Wabash Railroad, which completed its line between Montpelier and Gary, Indiana in 1893.