Beautifully engraved antique stock certificate from the Chester River Steamboat Company dating back to the 1800's. This document was printed by James M. Anderson and Son of Baltimore, and measures approximately 9 1/2" (w) by 6 1/2" (h).
This certificate's vignette features a paddlewheeler navigating rough and crowded waters. A second vignette at the bottom shows the Maryland State Seal.
You will receive the exact certificate pictured.
The Chester River Steamboat Company was formed in 1865 when Colonel B.S. Ford purchased the line of Henry B.Slaughter of Crumpton. Slaughter had been offering daily service along the Chester since 1860, with the boats Arrow, Chester and George Law.
The new company prospered, and the B.S. Ford, Corsica, Emma Ford and Gratitude were added to the fleet. They stopped at Chestertown, Rolphs Wharf, Quaker Neck, Cliffs, Spaniards Point, Spry’s Landing, Buckingham, Round Top and Deep Landing.
This regular steamboat service between the Chester and Baltimore provided local farmers and watermen with a reliable form of transport for their perishable produce, rockfish, crabs and oysters. It also allowed local merchants to bring in all manner of goods and merchandise for the thriving town of Chestertown.
In 1904, the Weems Steamboat Company and the Chester River Steamboat Company were purchased and consolidated with the Queen Anne’s Railroad Company. The consolidated property was owned by a newly formed corporation - the Maryland, Delaware and Virginia Railway Company.