Intricately engraved antique stock certificate from the Central Ohio Rail Road Company dating back to the 1850's. This document, which is signed by the company President and Secretary, was printed by Toppan. Carpenter & Co. and measures approximately 9 1/2" (w) by 7 3/4" (h).
This certificate features three vignettes - a train leaving a town at the top , the Ohio State Seal at the bottom and a farmer at the left.
You will receive the exact certificate pictured.
The first railroad to pass through Newark, Ohio was the Sandusky, Mansfield and Newark Railroad. It was built in 1852 and was quickly followed by the Central Ohio Railroad between Columbus and Newark in 1854. Once these railroads were in use, the Erie and Ohio Canal only carried products that did not need quick transportation.
The Sandusky, Mansfield and Newark Railroad was absorbed by the Baltimore and Ohio Railroad (B&O) in 1869 as was the Central Ohio. As the predominant railroad in the county, the Central Ohio was built to ship coal mined in the SE part of Ohio into Newark to fuel its industrial growth.