Beautifully engraved antique stock certificate from the Brownville, Fort Kearny and Pacific Rail Road Company dating back to the 1880's. This document was printed by Gast & Co. Litho and measures approximately 10 3/4" (w) by 8" (h).
The vignette features a train at a bus rural depot.
After the war, railroad fever gripped Brownville, Nebraska when the Brownville, Fort Kearny & Pacific Railroad Company was organized. A lobbyist was sent to Washington in hopes of securing land to fund the project. Nemaha County, Brownville Precinct, and the city of Brownville all passed bonds to be paid "when the railroad was in operation."
Everyone was excited as the first ten miles of track were laid. A group of dignitaries traveled to the end of the tracks and then back to the city to await further construction. However, when Congress (embroiled in postwar reconstruction) did nothing more to help, the company was forced into bankruptcy. The rails and ties were torn up and sold to another company to pay some of its debts, while the matter of payment of the bonds was argued in the courts.