Beautifully engraved antique bond certificate from the Broadway Surface Railroad Company dating back to the 1880's. This document, which has been signed by the company President and Treasurer, was printed by Henry Seibert & Bro. Lith. and measures approximately 12 1/2" (w) by 17" (h).
This certificate's intricate vignette features an eagle atop a shield with an American flag in its talons.
The Broadway Surface Railroad was chartered on May 13, 1880 as the introduction of cable operated cars brought a new boom of railroad development in Manhattan. The new breed of cable cars were more comfortable and faster then their predecessors. When the line was organized it was one of 24 companies operating railroad and/or trolley lines in New York.
The inaugural run for the line came some five years later in 1895. The line eventually was operated by the Broadway and Seventh Avenue Railroad. Hughson Hawley’s famous painting “Laying the Tracks at Broadway and 14th Street” depicted the construction of the line’s tracks in the heart of New York’s Union Square.