Intricately engraved antique bond certificate from the Androscoggin and Kennebec Rail Road Company dating back to the 1850's. This document, which has been signed by the company President and Treasurer, was printed by Foster, Gerrish & Co. measures approximately 10 3/4" (w) by 8" (h).
This certificate features a vignette of a train steaming down the tracks.
You will receive the exact certificate pictured.
The Androscoggin and Kennebec Railroad Company received a charter on March 28, 1847, and by January 1850 had built a line between Waterville, Maine, and Danville, Maine (now Auburn). At Waterville, the A&K connected with the Penobscot and Kennebec Railroad (P&K). At Danville, the A&K connected with the Atlantic and St. Lawrence Railroad, which opened in 1853 and was subsequently sold to Grand Trunk Railway.
In 1846, the year that the P&K was chartered, a law was enacted permitting both the P&K and A&K to consolidate under a new name. The legislation was not acceptable to both companies, thus the A&K was chartered in 1847. The P&K and A&K did not merge until after the contentious section of the previous merger legislation was repealed on September 9, 1862. The following month on October 28, 1862, the A&K and P&K merged to form the Maine Central Railroad.