Nicely engraved antique stock certificate from the Allied Chemical & Dye Corporation dating back to the 1950's. This document, which carries the printed signatures of the company President and Secretary, was printed by the American Bank Note Company, and measures approximately 12" (w) by 8" (h).
This certificate's vignette features a female leaning on a staff, flanked by a helmet and globe.
In 1870, chemist William H. Nichols started a sulfuric acid manufacturing business. By the end of the century, Nichols had launched several chemical companies and was known as a leader of the nascent United States chemical industry.
In 1920, Nichols obtained financial support from Eugene Meyer.
The two formed the Allied Chemical & Dye Corporation in 1920 by merging five industrial concerns:
- Barrett Chemical Company (founded 1858)
- General Chemical Company (founded 1899)
- National Aniline & Chemical Company (founded 1917)
- Semet-Solvay Company (founded 1895)
- Solvay Process Company (founded 1881)
All manufacturing was consolidated in Buffalo, and much attention was given to improving the processes that had been hastily introduced during World War I. Allied's first venture into new markets was the construction of a synthetic ammonia plant near Hopewell, Virginia in 1928. This would soon become the world's largest producer of ammonia.
After World War II, Allied began manufacturing other products, including Nylon 6, refrigerants and plastic dinnerware. The company name was simplified to reflect this diversification, becoming Allied Chemical Corporation in 1958. It also moved its headquarters to Morristown, New Jersey.
In 1962, Allied bought Union Texas Natural Gas. Allied initially regarded Union as a vertical integration supplier of raw materials for its chemical products. However, CEO John T. Connor, secretary of commerce under president Lyndon Johnson, sold many of Allied's unprofitable businesses in the 1970s and invested more heavily in oil and gas exploration. By 1979, Union Texas was generating 80% of Allied's revenue.
As the company sought to further diversify its operations, it was renamed Allied Corporation in 1981.
Its next acquisition, in 1983, was Bendix Corporation, an aerospace and automotive firm. By 1984, Bendix was generating 50% of Allied's income, while oil and gas generated 38%.
In 1985, Allied merged with the Signal Companies to become AlliedSignal. The company would eventually acquire Honeywell in 1999, and adopt its name.