Intricately engraved antique stock certificate from the Chicago and Ohio River Railroad Company dating back to the 1880's. This document, which is signed by the company President and Secretary, was printed by the American Bank Note Company, and measures approximately 10 3/4" (w) by 7" (h).
This certificate has a beautiful vignette at the bottom of a train at a busy station. The company name at the top is flanked by a pair of allegorical angels.
You will receive the exact certificate pictured.
The Chicago & Ohio River Railroad was originally chartered in 1869 as the Danville, Olney & Ohio River Railroad.
The line was constructed as a narrow-gauge line from Kansas to West Liberty between 1878-1881. In 1881, the line was changed to standard gauge and was eventually completed in 1883, from Sidell to Olney - a distance of 86 miles. The same year it went into the hands of a receiver, was sold under foreclosure, in February of 1886, and reorganized, in May of the following year, as the Chicago & Ohio River Railroad.
The line was consolidated with the Peoria, Decatur & Evansville Railway in 1893, and used as the Chicago Division of that line. The PD&E then went bankrupt, and the line was resold in 1898 to the Indiana, Decatur and Western Railway, a predecessor of the Cincinnati, Indianapolis and Western Railroad - which was acquired by the Baltimore and Ohio Railroad in 1927.
The line was also known by a number of names, including the:
- Old Dody
- Dog River
- Crab Oyster
George H. Culp of Montezuma, Indiana, wrote a poem, entitled "The Old Road Passes", which describes the "Old Dog River line."