King’s was founded by Ollie Cohen in Brockton, Massachusetts in 1956. Over twenty-year span, the chain grew to about 125 stores, acquiring Mammoth Mart and Barkers along the way.
In the late 1970's, the chain was sold to KDT Industries. In 1982, King's declared bankruptcy and began closing poorly performing stores. In 1984, King's went out of business for good, with the chains' remaining stores and property being sold to Ames (who later went under themselves).