Nicely engraved antique stock certificate from the Standard Gas and Electric Company dating back to the 1950's. This document, which contains the printed signatures of the company President and Treasurer, was printed by the American Bank Note Company and measures approximately 11" (w) by 7" (h).
The vignette features a pair of allegorical figures flanking a dynamo. Storage tanks and a city skyline appear in the background.
You will receive the exact certificate pictured.
The Standard Gas and Electric Company was incorporated in Delaware on April 28, 1910, as a holding company for acquiring, selling or operating public utility properties. The company owned stocks, bonds and other securities of 14 public service corporations, serving 578 communities with a total estimated population of 2,250,000. The territory covered was located in Iowa, Illinois, Minnesota, Wisconsin, Oklahoma, Arkansas, North Dakota, South Dakota, Colorado, Montana, Idaho, Washington, Oregon, California, Alabama and Kentucky.
The companies controlled the following companies operating them as subsidiaries:
- Byllesby Engineering & Management Corporation
- Fort Smith Light & Traction Company (Arkansas)
- Louisville Gas & Electric Company (Kentucky)
- Mobile Electric Company (Alabama)
- Mountain States Power Company
- Oklahoma Gas & Electric Company
- Puget Sound Gas Company (Washington)
- San Diego Consolidated Gas & Electric Company (California)
- Shafer Oil & Refining Company
- Southern Colorado Power Company
- Southwestern General Gas Company
- Western States Gas & Electric Company