The Hoboken Ferry Company was one of New Jersey and New York's first major ferry services. The company operated out of the Lackawanna Terminal in Hoboken and was originally run by the Stevens family. The company's lines traversed the Hudson docking at 14th Street, 23rd Street, Barclay Street and Christopher Street in Manhattan.
In 1898, the Hoboken Ferry Company was consolidated with the New York and New Jersey Ferry Company to form the New York and Hoboken Ferry Company
The company was leased by the Delaware, Lackawanna and Western Railroad in 1904.
Pictured on this piece is the company's Bergen ferry, which was the first propeller-driven ferry used in New York Harbor. The Bergen was built at the Delamater Iron Works in Newburgh, Orange County, New York.
Other ships operated by the company included the Montclair, Orange and Binghamton.