The Hidden Fortune Gold Mining Company was incorporated in South Dakota in 1901.
The Hidden Fortune discovery was made by a German man by the name of Otto P. Grantz. Claims included the Durango, Harrison, Sula, Grant Reddy, Golden Crown, St. Patrick and Swamp Eagle all located around the town of Lead. In total, the company owned over 280 acres adjacent to the Homestake Mining Company.
The gold ore was shipped by rail to a large mill built on the east side of Whitewood Creek a mile or two north of Deadwood.