Geary Street Park and Ocean Railroad Stocks & Bonds - Ghosts of Wall Street

Geary Street Park and Ocean Railroad

1 product
    The Geary Street Park and Ocean Railroad Company was organized on November 8, 1878 by Charles Main, Reuben Morton, BC Bigelow, James McCord, William Eppelsheimer, CF Macdemot and Thomas R Hayes.

    The line opened on February 16, 1880 along Geary Street from Kearney to Central (now Presidio.) In 1892, the line was extended from Geary Street to 5th Avenue, and 5th Avenue to Fulton (Golden Gate Park.)

    Geary Street, like Sutter Street, did not have any major hills. The San Francisco Chronicle once called it a "low-grade cable line..." The line connected the busy shopping areas of Market Street and Union Square with the residential Western Addition and later the Inner Richmond and Golden Gate Park. The cemeteries around Central Avenue were a major source of traffic.

    The line was one of the quickest to get back in service after the earthquake and fire of 1906, as it suffered the least amount of damage.

    San Francisco voters approved a Municipal Railway on Geary Street in 1909. The GSPO was taken over by city in 1912 and the last cable cars ran on May 6, 1912.
    1 product
    Sold Out
    Geary Street Park and Ocean Railroad Company Signed by Charles Crocker
    Geary Street Park and Ocean Railroad Company Signed by Charles Crocker
    Geary Street Park and Ocean Railroad Company (Signed by Charles Crocker)
    $195.00
    Recently viewed