By the turn of the 20th century, the Edison Illuminating Company and the Peninsular Electric Light Company (which owned the electric distribution franchise in the area) provided all commercial electric lighting and power in the city of Detroit.
In January 1903, Detroit Edison purchased securities of the two companies and incorporated on January 17, 1903.
In 1904, Detroit Edison signed its first power contract with an automobile company — the Cadillac Motor Car Company.
Detroit Edison added the St. Clair power plant in 1954 — one of the largest power plants in the world at the time.
In 1956, Detroit Edison broke ground for the Enrico Fermi atomic power plant and also began work on the River Rouge power plant.
In early 1996, it became an operating subsidiary of the new holding company, DTE Energy Company, which replaced Detroit Edison Company on the stock exchange, and took over the trading ticker symbol.