The roots of this company back to 1909, when the Dayton Street Railway Company was incorporated and opened a streetcar line on Five Oaks and Salem.
In 1933, after a carbarn fire, the company becomes Dayton's first operator of trolleybuses, and changes its name to Dayton Street Transit Company.
In 1941 the City Railway Company of Dayton purchased the Dayton Street Transit Company. The Peoples' Street Railway Company merged into the City Railway in 1945. The final running of street (rail) cars took place in September 1947, when electric trolley buses (ETBs) replaced the rail cars on the 3rd Street line.
City Railway became City Transit Co. in 1955, and the new Miami Valley Regional Transit Authority (RTA) took over public transit operations in November 1972.