Cuba Railroad Company
Intricately engraved antique stock certificate from the Cuba Railroad Company dating back to the mid 1900's. This document, which is signed by two company officers, was printed by the American Bank Note Company, and measures approximately 12" (w) by 8 1/2" (h).
The certificate's beautiful vignette shows an oncoming locomotive.
You will receive the exact certifcate pictured.
The Cuba Railroad Company was financed and operated by US corporations under franchises from the Cuban government.
Originally known as the Consolidated Railroads of Cuba, the line was the common-carrier railroad on the eastern side of the island, with more than a thousand miles of track. By 1902 it had connected to the United Railroads of Havana, reducing travel time between Camaguey and the capital from three days by steamship to just 15 hours by train (improved to 9 hours by 1951). The railroad company by 1952 had merged with Northern of Cuba RR (founded in 1916), the Camaguey & Nuevitas RR (1837), the Espirituano RR, and the Guantanamo & Western RR (1882). The company was nationalized in 1960 as a result of Castro taking over power in Cuba.