Nicely engraved antique stock certificate from the Armitage Enamel Leather Company dating back to the 1910's. This document was printed by the Richmond & Backus Co. of Detroit and measures approximately 11" (w) by 8 1/2" (h).
The vignette features an allegorical female figure with a shield and wreath.
You will receive the exact certificate pictured.
The Armitage Enamel Leather Company was organized in Detroit, Michigan in 1911 with four partners - Walter S. Gurd, E.S. Barbour and R.B. Gillespie of the Michigan Stove Company and Edwin Armitage, an expert tanner.
In 1912, the company was incorporated with $10,000 capital stock to manufacture imitation leather. The company displayed this leather in various colors and the 12th annual Detroit Auto Show.
The word "Enamel" was dropped from the title in 1913 and the company moved to larger headquarters at 621-623 W. Fort St. where they expanded their production of leather particularly suited to motor car seats.
By 1914, the company specialized in satin finish leathers in blended colors. Downsizing in 1915, the company moved to 38-40 Sherman. The company was still in business in 1916, but was not listed in the 1919 city directory.