During the 1890s, the City Railway Company organized and bought Dayton's Fifth and Third streets lines, the Green Line and the Dayton and Soldiers' Home Railroad.
In 1941 the City Railway Company of Dayton purchased the Dayton Street Railway (later the Dayton Street Transit Company). The Peoples' Street Railway Company merged into the City Railway in 1945. The final running of street (rail) cars took place in September 1947, when electric trolley buses (ETBs) replaced the rail cars on the 3rd Street line.
City Railway became City Transit Co. in 1955, and the new Miami Valley Regional Transit Authority (RTA) took over public transit operations in November 1972.