Broadway and Seventh Avenue Railroad Company (New York)
Beautifully engraved antique bond certificate from the Broadway and Seventh Avenue Railroad Company dating back to the 1930's. This document, which has been signed by the company President and Treasurer, was printed by the International Bank Note Company, and measures approximately 9 1/4" (w) by 14" (h).
This certificate's intricate vignette features a pair of reclining nude allegorical figures.
The Broadway and Seventh Avenue Railroad was a streetcar operator in the borough of Manhattan in New York City.
It was originally incorporated on May 26, 1864. The company opened a line from Lower Manhattan to Central Park in 1864. However, south of Union Square, tracks were not allowed on Broadway due to local opposition. Thus the route began in the trackage west of City Hall, jointly owned by the Sixth Avenue Railroad and Eighth Avenue Railroad, and used the one-way pair of Church Street and West Broadway to Canal Street and Greene Street and Wooster Street to 8th Street, north of which both directions used University Place to Union Square. North of Union Square, tracks were built in Broadway to north of Times Square, where it merged with the Broadway and Seventh Avenue Railroad's other line, along Seventh Avenue, to end at Seventh Avenue and 59th Street.
On June 3, 1874, it was merged with the Avenue C Railroad Company to form the Houston, West Street and Pavonia Ferry Railroad.
In 1893 the line was leased by the Metropolitan Street Railway, and in 1911 it was leased by New York Railways.