Androscoggin Railroad

1 product

    The Androscoggin Railroad was incorporated in Maine in 1848 to build a line from Leed (Leeds Junction) to Jay, then to Farmington. The track to Jay was laid by August of 1851, but the extension to Farmington was not finished until 1859.

    The railroad was having rouble with the Androscoggin and Kennebec about the division of freight rates, so it decided to obtain a better position by extending its line from Leeds Junction to Brunswick. In 1860, it received a charter to construct the line that went through Wales along the shore of Sabattus Pond, parallel to what is now Route 132. Construction was completed late in 1861, during the Civil War.

    Although these small railroads depended on each other for their existance, there was considerable rivalry over revenue sometimes leading to court action. Finally, to correct the situation, in October of 1862, several short lines were merged into one large system called the Maine Central Railroad.
    1 product
    Androscoggin Railroad Company Bond Certificate
    Androscoggin Railroad Company Bond Certificate
    Androscoggin Railroad Company
    $45.00
    Recently viewed