Androscoggin and Kennebec Railroad

1 product

    The Androscoggin and Kennebec Railroad Company received a charter on March 28, 1847, and by January 1850 had built a line between Waterville, Maine, and Danville, Maine (now Auburn). At Waterville, the A&K connected with the Penobscot and Kennebec Railroad (P&K). At Danville, the A&K connected with the Atlantic and St. Lawrence Railroad, which opened in 1853 and was subsequently sold to Grand Trunk Railway.

    In 1846, the year that the P&K was chartered, a law was enacted permitting both the P&K and A&K to consolidate under a new name. The legislation was not acceptable to both companies, thus the A&K was chartered in 1847. The P&K and A&K did not merge until after the contentious section of the previous merger legislation was repealed on September 9, 1862. The following month on October 28, 1862, the A&K and P&K merged to form the Maine Central Railroad.

    1 product
    Androscoggin and Kennebec Rail Road Company Bond Certificate
    Androscoggin and Kennebec Rail Road Company Bond Certificate
    Androscoggin and Kennebec Rail Road Company
    $55.00
    Recently viewed